SAFe® 5 Scrum Master with Certification (SSM)
In this two-day course, attendees will gain an understanding of the role of Scrum Master in a SAFe® enterprise. Unlike traditional Scrum Master training that focuses on the fundamentals of team-level Scrum, the SAFe® 5 Scrum Master (SSM)course explores the role of Scrum Master in the context of the entire enterprise and prepares you to successfully plan and execute the Program Increment (PI), the primary enabler of alignment throughout all levels of a SAFe® organization. This includes learning the key components of scaled Agile development, how Scrum is facilitated throughout the enterprise, and how to execute iteration planning.
Attendees will also discover how to build high-performing Agile teams by becoming a servant leader and coach and how to coach those teams to deliver the maximum business value that is achievable through SAFe®. The SSM certification signifies that you are prepared to perform the role of Scrum Master in a SAFe® environment, increasing your value to teams and organizations that are implementing SAFe®.
Who Should Attend?
- New Scrum Masters who need to perform the role
- Existing Scrum Masters who would like to understand their role in the context of a SAFe® enterprise.
- Team leads who want to understand the Scrum Master role
- SAFe® Release Train Engineers who want to coach Scrum Masters on their role
- Familiarity with Agile concepts and principles
- Awareness of Scrum, Kanban, and eXtreme Programming (XP)
- Working knowledge of software and hardware development processes
SAFe® 5 Learning Goals
- Describe Scrum in a SAFe® enterprise
- Facilitate Scrum Events
- Support effective Program Increment execution
- Facilitate Effective Iteration execution
- Support Relentless Improvement
- Coach Agile Teams for Maximum Business Results
- Support DevOps Implementation
SAFe® 5 Scrum Master (SSM) Topics Covered
Introducing Scrum in SAFe® — Understand Agile development and the basics of Scrum, and become an Agile Team in a SAFe® environment.
The Roll of Scrum Master — Describe the role and responsibilities of a Scrum master and identify the characteristics of an effective Scrum Master.
Experiencing PI Planning — Prepare and experience Product Increment planning in order to establish business value.
Iteration Execution — Planning, backlog refinement, tracking, demoing, and continuous improvement. At scale, these include team-level and program-level ceremonies and events.
Finishing the PI — Managing the Product Increment and facilitating the Inspect and Adapt workshop.
Coaching the Agile Team — Understand the servant leader role, facilitate better meetings, coach the Agile Team, foster team collaboration, and manage conflict.
- Attend the 2-Day SAFe® 5 Scrum Master (SSM) course
- Pass the SAFe® 5 SSM exam (retakes are $50 and can be taken 45 days or more after the previous exam)
- Format: Multiple Choice
- Delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe® Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® 5 Scrum Master course
- Duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of Questions: 45
- Passing Score: 33 out of 45 (76% passing score)
What You Get:
- Attendee workbooks
- SAFe® Scrum Master exam (SSM)
- One-year membership to the SAFe® Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion
Renewals are from the date of certification.
- Renewal fee: $100
- 10 continuing education/outreach hours
SAFe® 5 Scrum Master (SSM) training is taught by experienced agile professionals currently “in the trenches.” They have guided transformations across public and private sectors spanning all organizational levels and are active members of the agile community. Key concepts are solidified through real-world anecdotes, hands-on exercises, and facilitated group discussions. This course will be organically tailored to the participants’ needs while adhering to the learning objectives.