In this two-day course, you’ll gain an understanding of the role of Scrum Master in a SAFe® enterprise. Unlike traditional Scrum Master training that focuses on the fundamentals of team-level Scrum, the SAFe® 4.0 Scrum Master course explores the role of Scrum in the context of the entire enterprise, and prepares you to successfully plan and execute the Program Increment (PI), the primary enabler of alignment throughout all levels of a SAFe® organization. This includes learning the key components of scaled Agile development, how Scrum is facilitated throughout the enterprise, and how to execute iteration planning.
You’ll also discover how to build high performing Agile teams by becoming a servant leader and coach, and how to coach those teams to deliver the maximum business value that is achievable through SAFe®. The SSM certification signifies that you are prepared to perform the role of Scrum Master in a SAFe® environment, increasing your value to teams and organizations that are implementing SAFe®.
Who Should Attend:
This course is for new or existing Scrum Masters, Team Leads, Release Train Engineers, and any other practitioners involved in software development that want to better understand the role and how it fits into a SAFe® enterprise.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
Through the completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Describe Scrum in a SAFe® enterprise
- Perform the role of Scrum Master in SAFe®
- Facilitate Iteration Planning and effective Iteration execution
- Support effective Program Increment execution
- Build high performing teams by becoming a servant leader and coach
- Introducing Scrum in SAFe®—Understand Agile development and the basics of Scrum, and become an Agile Team in a SAFe® environment.
- The Roll of Scrum Master—Describe the role and responsibilities of a Scrum master and identify the characteristics of an effective Scrum Master.
- Experiencing PI Planning—Prepare and experience Product Increment planning in order to establish business value.
- Iteration Execution—Planning, backlog refinement, tracking, demoing, and continuous improvement. At scale, these include team-level and program-level ceremonies and events.
- Finishing the PI—Managing the Product Increment and facilitating the Inspect and Adapt workshop.
- Coaching the Agile Team—Understand the role of servant leader, facilitate better meetings, coach the Agile Team, and foster team collaboration and manage conflict.
What You Get:
- Printed workbooks
- PDF Workbooks
- Course certificate
- Eligibility to take the SAFe®0 Scrum Master (SSM) certification exam
- PDUs: 14 | SEUs: 14
- Attend the 2-Day SAFe® Scrum Master certification course
- Pass the SSA Exam (retakes are $50 and can be taken 45 days or more after the previous exam) administered at the end of the course
- Complete the online course feedback survey
Renewals are from the date of certification
- Renewal fee: $100
- 10 continuing education/outreach hours
This course is taught by experienced agile professionals who are currently “in the trenches.” They have guided transformations across public and private sectors spanning all organizational levels, and they are active members in the agile community. Key concepts are solidified through real-world anecdotes, hands-on exercises, and facilitated group discussions. This course will be organically tailored to the participants’ needs while adhering to the learning objectives.
Because there simply isn’t enough time during a two day course to cover everything in detail, it is highly recommended you supplement the material covered in class with reading recommended by Scaled Agile:
- Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise by Dean Leffingwell
- Scaling Software Agility: Best Practices for Large Enterprises by Dean Leffingwell
- Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum by Mike Cohn
- Agile Estimating and Planning by Mike Cohn
- Scaled Agile Framework (ScaledAgileFramework.com)
- Dean Leffingwell Blog (ScalingSoftwareAgilityBlog.com)
- Scaled Agile Framework Training and Certification (www.ScaledAgileAcademy.com)
- Scrum Alliance (http://scrumalliance.org)
- Agile Alliance (http://agilealliance.org)
- Agile Manifesto (http://agilemanifesto.org)
Grab a printable course description here.
Sign up for one of our public courses or contact us to schedule a private SAFe® 4.0 Scrum Master with Certification course.
- August 1, 2017 - August 2, 2017
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Venue: Arlington, VA