SAFe® 5 Advanced Scrum Master Certification (SASM)
This two-day course prepares current Scrum Masters for their leadership role in facilitating Agile team, program, and enterprise success in a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®) implementation. The course covers facilitation of cross-team interactions in support of program execution and relentless improvement. It enhances the Scrum paradigm with an introduction to scalable engineering and DevOps practices; the application of Kanban to facilitate the flow of value; and supporting interactions with architects, product management, and other critical stakeholders in the larger program and enterprise contexts.
This course offers actionable tools for building high-performing teams and explores practical ways of addressing Agile and Scrum anti-patterns in the enterprise.
Who Should Attend:
- Existing Scrum Masters
- Team leaders, project managers, and others assuming the role of an Agile Team facilitators in a SAFe® or enterprise Agile context
- Agile Coaches
- Agile Program Managers
- Prospective SAFe® Release Train Engineers
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, having one or more of the following certifications is highly recommended for those who intend to take the SAFe® 5 Advanced Scrum Master (SASM) certification exam:
- SAFe® 5 Scrum Master (SSM) certification
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification
- Professional Scrum Master (PSM) certification
Through the completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Apply SAFe® principles to facilitation, enablement, and coaching in the multi-team environment
- Build a high-performing team and foster relentless improvement at the team and program level
- Address Agile and Scrum anti-patterns
- Support the adoption of engineering practices, DevOps, and Agile architecture
- Apply Kanban eXtreme Programming (XP) frameworks to optimize flow and improve the team’s work
- Facilitate program planning, execution, and delivery of end-to-end systems value
- Support learning through participation in Communities of Practice and innovation cycles
SAFe® 5 Advanced Scrum Master Topics Covered:
- Exploring Scrum in SAFe®—Explore Scrum Master challenges in the Enterprise, know the purpose and basic constructs of SAFe®, and establish Scrum Master connections in the Framework.
- A Scrum Master’s Perspective—Understand how the role of Scrum Master fits within the nine SAFe® principles.
- Exploring Agile and Scrum Anti-Patterns—Explore anti-patterns associated with the Product Owner role, and learn how to avoid anti-patterns in your environment.
- Facilitating Program Execution—Learn how to synchronize development with the Agile Release Train, how to plan and execute the Program Increment, how to participate in Inspect and Adapt, and release value on demand.
- Improving Flow with Kanban and XP—Build your Kanban board, measure and optimize flow, build quality in, and facilitate collaboration with Architects, System Team, and Operations.
- Building High-Performing Teams—Learn how to foster team and cross-team collaboration, build trust with stakeholders, create forward momentum, and build an Improvement Roadmap.
- Improving Program Performance with Inspect and Adapt—Explore the Inspect and Adapt process and apply problem-solving workshop.
What You Get:
- Attendee workbooks
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® 5 Advanced Scrum Master (SASM) exam
- A SAFe® Advanced Scrum Master Certificate
- One-year membership to the SAFe® community
- Exam Format: Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam Delivery: Web-based (single browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Pass the SASM Exam (retakes are $50 and can be taken 45 days or more after the previous exam) administered at the end of the course
- Complete the online course feedback survey
Renewals are from the date of certification
- Renewal fee: $195
- Renewal fee for the SSM certification is included in SASM renewal (if your SASM certification is up-to-date)
SAFe® 5 Advanced Scrum Master Certification course is taught by experienced agile professionals who are currently “in the trenches.” They have guided transformations across public and private sectors spanning all organizational levels, and they are active members in the agile community. Key concepts are solidified through real-world anecdotes, hands-on exercises, and facilitated group discussions. This course will be organically tailored to the participants’ needs while adhering to the learning objectives.
Because there simply isn’t enough time during a two day course to cover everything in detail, it is highly recommended you supplement the material covered in class with reading recommended by Scaled Agile:
- Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise by Dean Leffingwell
- Scaling Software Agility: Best Practices for Large Enterprises by Dean Leffingwell
- Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum by Mike Cohn
- Agile Estimating and Planning by Mike Cohn
- Scaled Agile Framework (ScaledAgileFramework.com)
- Dean Leffingwell Blog (ScalingSoftwareAgilityBlog.com)
- Scaled Agile Framework Training and Certification (www.ScaledAgileAcademy.com)
- Scrum Alliance (http://scrumalliance.org)
- Agile Alliance (http://agilealliance.org)
- Agile Manifesto (http://agilemanifesto.org)