SAFe® 4 Scrum Master with Certification (SSM)
In this two-day course, attendees will gain an understanding of the role of Scrum Master in a SAFe® enterprise. Unlike traditional Scrum Master training that focuses on the fundamentals of team-level Scrum, the SAFe® 4.0 Scrum Master course explores the role of Scrum in the context of the entire enterprise, and prepares you to successfully plan and execute the Program Increment (PI), the primary enabler of alignment throughout all levels of a SAFe® organization. This includes learning the key components of scaled Agile development, how Scrum is facilitated throughout the enterprise, and how to execute iteration planning.
Attendees will also discover how to build high performing Agile teams by becoming a servant leader and coach, and how to coach those teams to deliver the maximum business value that is achievable through SAFe®. The SSM certification signifies that you are prepared to perform the role of Scrum Master in a SAFe® environment, increasing your value to teams and organizations that are implementing SAFe®.
Who Should Attend:
- New Scrum Masters who need to perform the role
- Existing Scrum Masters who would like to understand their role in the context of a SAFe® enterprise.
- Team leads who want to understand the Scrum Master role
- SAFe® Release Train Engineers who want to coach Scrum Masters on their role
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, the following prerequisites are highly recommended for those who intend to take the SAFe® Scrum Master (SSM) certification exam:
- Familiarity with Agile concepts and principles
- Awareness of Scrum, Kanban, and eXtreme Programming (XP)
- Working knowledge of software and hardware development processes
Through the completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Describe Scrum in a SAFe® enterprise
- Facilitate Scrum Events
- Support effective Program Increment execution
- Facilitate Effective Iteration execution
- Support Relentless Improvement
- Coach Agile Teams for Maximum Business Results
- Support DevOps Implementation
- Introducing Scrum in SAFe®—Understand Agile development and the basics of Scrum, and become an Agile Team in a SAFe® environment.
- The Roll of Scrum Master—Describe the role and responsibilities of a Scrum master and identify the characteristics of an effective Scrum Master.
- Experiencing PI Planning—Prepare and experience Product Increment planning in order to establish business value.
- Iteration Execution—Planning, backlog refinement, tracking, demoing, and continuous improvement. At scale, these include team-level and program-level ceremonies and events.
- Finishing the PI—Managing the Product Increment and facilitating the Inspect and Adapt workshop.
- Coaching the Agile Team—Understand the role of servant leader, facilitate better meetings, coach the Agile Team, and foster team collaboration and manage conflict.
What You Get:
- Printed Workbooks
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® Scrum Master exam (SSM)
- Course certificate
- One-year membership to the SAFe® Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion
- PDUs: 15 | SEUs:3
- Exam Format: Multiple choice; Multiple select
- Exam Delivery: Web-based (single browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam Access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe® Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® 4 Scrum Master course
- Exam Cost: First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt is $50.
- Exam Duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of Questions: 45
- Passing Score: 33 out of 45 (73%)
- Language: English
- Retake Policy: Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
Renewals are from the date of certification
- Renewal fee: $100
This course is taught by experienced agile professionals who are currently “in the trenches.” They have guided transformations across public and private sectors spanning all organizational levels, and they are active members in the agile community. Key concepts are solidified through real-world anecdotes, hands-on exercises, and facilitated group discussions. This course will be organically tailored to the participants’ needs while adhering to the learning objectives.
Because there simply isn’t enough time during a two day course to cover everything in detail, it is highly recommended you supplement the material covered in class with reading recommended by Scaled Agile:
- Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise by Dean Leffingwell
- Scaling Software Agility: Best Practices for Large Enterprises by Dean Leffingwell
- Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum by Mike Cohn
- Agile Estimating and Planning by Mike Cohn
- Scaled Agile Framework (ScaledAgileFramework.com)
- Dean Leffingwell Blog (ScalingSoftwareAgilityBlog.com)
- Scaled Agile Framework Training and Certification (www.ScaledAgileAcademy.com)
- Scrum Alliance (http://scrumalliance.org)
- Agile Alliance (http://agilealliance.org)
- Agile Manifesto (http://agilemanifesto.org)